Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world. - Joel A. Barker
I know it is summer when I start seeing dragonflies darting back and forth in the sky. They are interesting and beautiful creatures. Dragonflies can fly up to 38 mph. and the bigger they are the faster they fly. Without trying to sound too nerdy, dragonflies have extra ordinarily vision.
They can see a larger range of colors then humans and their large eyes give the dragonfly nearly 360° vision. I was also reading that a dragonfly uses about 80% of its brain to process the world around them, making them a pretty determined little guy in the animal kingdom. I once a few years back had a little red dragonfly in my backyard stop two feet from my face and stare at me for about a minute in mid air. They have to be a lot more intelligent then we give them credit for.
As I was watching these amazing insects in action today darting back and forth on my walk, I noticed their focus and their determination. Focus has never been my strong suit. I have learned how to overcome that and get things accomplished by breaking up big tasks into smaller projects. Not always focusing on the larger task but still working toward that larger vision. Having vision helps us to press on and persevere in the smaller tasks, even on days when we lose our focus on the big picture. When you find passion and purpose in meaningful work it isn't hard to stay focused, especially when it can make a real difference in this world.
Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keeps the law, happy is he.~ Proverbs 29:18 -
Wonderful words to this song! I remember hearing it as a child but I have no idea from where.
- Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
- Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
- Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
- Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.
- Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
- I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
- Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
- Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
- Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
- Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
- Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
- Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.
- Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
- Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
- Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
- High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.
- High King of Heaven, my victory won,
- May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
- Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
- Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
- by Eleanor Hull 1912
Selah has a beautiful version of it.
All of Selah's songs are beautiful! :)